Building insurance is what covers your home, land, permanent property fixtures, and other buildings on your property. It is required by banks in order to finance your home and is crucial in protecting your most valuable asset, your home. Most policies will cover things like fences or gates, bathtubs, sinks, and permanent fitted kitchens as well.

Since Building insurance is required by banks, many lenders will include it in the mortgage payment itself. Remember you always have the option to shop around and are not obligated to accept the combined mortgage-insurance payment. This, however, could prove to be a money saving option. That is not always the case, though, and you are encouraged to compare policies to get the most competitive price. Building near a fire hydrant can also reduce your building insurance. If the city code requires a fire hydrant near your building, having it installed before the building begins will be a money saver.

What Am I Covered From?

Policy coverage will be based on the company you choose to insure through, and the accuracy of the information you give them regarding risk factors. Be sure to have a professional come to your property to conduct a survey; a surveyor will make you aware of any potential risks you did not know of, and allow you to get the most accurate coverage. The types of damages usually covered in building insurance policies are; Fire, Flood, Earthquakes, Storms, Vandalism, Riots, falling objects related to aircraft, falling trees, Sinkholes(subsidence), and, if made aware of, frost damage to your plumbing. Remember to declare all potential risks to your insurance company; this way you will be covered from those types of damages. If a particular risk can be corrected, you may find eliminating the risk will reduce your insurance rate.

Not This One…

Unfortunately, building insurance will not cover all types of damage. The personal belongings within your home are the most notable. This list, however, includes damages from war, terrorism, pollution, pressure waves, and radioactive contamination.


Do not forget to factor in your deductible, or excess, when comparing prices for building insurance. This is the amount you have to pay before the policy kicks in and covers expenses. Normally, if the deduction is higher, the monthly insurance rate will be lower. With a low deductible, the monthly insurance rate will be higher.


Policy add-ons come with an extra fee, but can protect against certain types of expenses. These add-ons include public liability protection and alternative accommodation. Public liability protection covers you in a situation where you would be personally financially responsible for someone else’s medical bills, or court fees, i.e. a dog bites someone in your yard and they sue you. Alternative accommodation pays for you to live in a different structure (RV, mobile home) while you do home renovations or repairs. You can also look into content insurance. Having content insurance will provide coverage for most things that are in the building.